Get insightful automation articles, view upcoming webinars and stay up-to-date with Checkbox
Legal automation software is the use of tools & technology to enable legal teams to streamline, automate and measure legal work. Through legal automation, teams are empowered to create self-serve and self-help tools for their clients. This frees the lawyers to focus on the high value tasks where they can uniquely add value as experts, such as engaging in negotiation and providing strategic advice.
Why is Legal Automation Important?
Corporate legal departments are constantly faced with the challenge to do more with less. Given that people are an expensive limited resource, doing more translates to leveraging process and technology. However, there is little to no support provided to legal from a priority or budgetary point of view when it comes to technology, and as a result, legal teams continue to work in very manual ways.
This results in legal counsels having to do tiresome work that is repetitive and low value, with the side effects of the legal department becoming a bottleneck for the business and a lack of visibility and inability to report on legal data and activity.
Whilst this reality is nothing new, contemporary changes in the industry have driven the attention to finally translate into action.
These driving factors include:
- Year on year budget cuts or reduction of headcount
- Corporate strategy for cost reduction and simplification
- Increasing volume of legal work as businesses and regulatory environments become more complex
- Legal departments wanting to move up from simply being a support function to becoming more of a strategic adviser to the business
Disciplines like legal operations (or ‘Legal Ops’) have emerged and are seeing legal departments run like a business and focus on optimizing the delivery of legal services to their business clients – with legal automation being a key pillar to achieving this.
Use Cases for Legal Automation
Legal automation is best deployed to automate all the low-value, low-risk legal work so that lawyers can focus on the high-value, high-risk work. The result is the creation of no-touch and low-touch legal activities which gives time back to legal teams and only involves them when necessary.
What Are The Benefits of Legal Automation?
There is a reason why legal automation is a key pillar of any legal operations or legal transformation strategy. Whilst other legal technology may help lawyers organize and manage their work, legal automation uniquely shifts the type of work of legal departments to enable them to truly do more with less, whilst also creating visible and direct improvements to the delivery of legal services to their business clients.
Some benefits of legal automation include:
- Giving time back to legal teams – refocus the legal team on high impact tasks by creating automation and self-service journeys for the low complexity tasks.
- Faster turnaround for business clients – remove bottlenecks to progress deals faster by improving accessibility to services through self-service whilst shortening the queue for high importance legal requests.
- Higher compliance – improve accuracy and adoption of proper practices and processes.
- Standardization – create operational excellence and consistency of service delivery.
- Data capture – gain access and report on data that isn’t captured in existing manual methods of working, such as email and phone calls.
At Checkbox, we’ve come across common use-cases for automated legal operations:
- Intake and triage: Create a legal services request gateway that enables self-service and standardized, automated triage
- Document execution workflow: Digitize and facilitate approvals for document execution, contract review, and delegation of authority (DoA)
- Legal contract automation: Generate standard documents like NDAs, letters, T&Cs, and justification notes with signature workflow
- Bulk contract automation: Create hundreds of renewal contracts in minutes, error-free, using legal document automation
- Legal advice automation & FAQ: Generate standard documents like NDAs, letters, T&Cs and justification notes with signature workflow
- Contract Negotiation: Automate your contract generation and streamline the negotiation process to get your business deals across the line faster
- Delegation of Authority: Free up time for the legal team by digitizing and operationalizing complex approvals through automation
- Request For Information: Save time on receiving and processing RFIs to allow your legal team to focus on higher value work
- Claims Workflow and Approval: Facilitate and streamline the claims process whilst improving customer experience
- Compensation Calculator and Workflow: Streamline the claims process and improve customer experience
- Legal Workflow Automation : Standardizes the processes within the legal field to provide a structured framework for how to effectively deliver legal services and enables legal teams to collaborate with transparency on legal matters.
- Contract Lifecycle Management Software : Manages contracts from the initiation stage through the generation, compliance and renewal stages. Provides legal and business teams with the tools to streamline the contract lifecycle, while enabling business users to self-serve and manage their contracts at scale in a centralized location.
- Matter Management Software : Assists legal professionals in effectively managing and tracking legal matters or cases. It is designed to streamline the complex workflow and administrative tasks involved in handling legal matters, helping with lawyers’ productivity.
Emerging Legal Automation & AI Technology
The most recent trend in the legal automation space has been in the introduction of Artificial Intelligence (AI). One significant advancement of AI technology has been the development of chatbots, such as ChatGPT models. These language models have the capacity to understand and generate human-like text responses, which can be helpful for lawyers as they work on various legal tasks.
AI models such as ChatGPT and others have been employed to automate and enhance legal processes, transforming the legal landscape by streamlining repetitive and time-consuming tasks, improving efficiency, and reducing costs.
Low/No Code Legal Automation Platforms
Legal teams often face challenges when it comes to receiving attention and support from their organization's IT departments. Due to competing priorities and limited resources, IT departments may not prioritize the specific needs of legal teams, leading to delays or inefficiencies in implementing technology solutions tailored to their requirements. As a result, it has become increasingly common for legal teams to take the initiative into their own hands and explore alternative approaches to automation, such as low-code and no-code legal workflow automation.
Low/no code legal automation can foster collaboration and innovation within legal departments. Legal professionals can experiment, iterate and continuously improve their automation solutions, adapting them to changing needs and emerging challenges. This iterative process allows legal teams to optimize their workflows, streamline processes and drive overall efficiency within the organization.
By leveraging these technologies, legal teams can become more self-sufficient and responsive to their specific automation needs, ultimately driving improved productivity and effectiveness within their organizations.
Checkbox as a Legal Automation platform
The Checkbox legal automation platform empowers teams to build legal document automation software & workflow automation software tools using drag-and-drop. Trusted by the best brands globally across legal teams of all sizes, Checkbox has been a critical piece in their legal transformation journey, providing not only the best in breed automation technology but the expertise to ensure success.
Checkbox is known for being the easiest to use, yet powerful legal automation platform available. Combined with our deep expertise in legal automation and transformation, we are excited to demonstrate to you why the best continuously choose Checkbox and why they always succeed with us.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is legal automation important?
Corporate legal departments are constantly faced with the challenge to do more with less. Given that people are an expensive limited resource, doing more translates to leveraging process and technology. However, there is little to no support provided to legal from a priority or budgetary point of view when it comes to technology, and as a result, legal teams continue to work in very manual ways. With legal automation, these concerns are largely eliminated as the need for manual work diminishes.
What are the benefits of legal automation for an organization?
1. Giving time back to legal teams – refocus the legal team on high impact tasks by creating automation and self-service journeys for the low complexity tasks. 2. Faster turnaround for business clients – remove bottlenecks to progress deals faster by improving accessibility to services through self-service whilst shortening the queue for high importance legal requests. 3. Higher compliance – improve accuracy and adoption of proper practices and processes. 4. Standardization – create operational excellence and consistency of service delivery. 5. Data capture – gain access and report on data that isn’t captured in existing manual methods of working, such as email and phone calls.
How can you start your legal automation journey?
When starting a legal automation journey, there are a few factors to consider to prepare your organization for automation: 1. Review legal budgets and determine if there is enough for automation technology 2. Evaluate corporate strategy & set goals for the legal department to accomplish 3. Determine the volume of work as businesses and regulatory environments become more complex 4. Consider the current state of your legal department
Checkbox's team comprises of passionate and creative individuals who prioritize quality work. With a strong focus on learning, we drive impactful innovations in the field of no-code.